Re: Syntax Grammars

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 10:24:16 EST

<x-flowed>To: George Goolde,

<< That is why I personally prefer an eight case grammar to a five case
one. I think it is a strong step in the right direction toward teaching
students to understand their Bibles. The main idea of the ablative is not
the same as the main idea of the genitive whether or not we chose to
identify them as separate cases or uses of one case. >>

I'm not for sure I understand why insisting that there are two separate
cases, namely the genitive and ablative, allows us to understand Greek any
better than saying that there is one genitive case with two major
functions, namely the pure genitive and the ablative genitive. It seems to
me that they both amount to roughly the same thing.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"