Re: Clause linkage (was RE: Philippians 4:3-4 hWN TA ONOMATA ...)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 19 1999 - 07:34:06 EST

At 12:22 AM -0800 12/19/99, Byron Knutson wrote:
>Regarding:
>
> Philippians 4:3-4 and CAIRETE EN KURIWi PANTOTE PALIN ERW CAIRETE and
>whether it can be construed as a continuation in the Greek of what precedes,
>namely, TA hWN ONOMATA EN BIBLWI ZWHS.

Maybe other people always have an open GNT at their side as they read and
write; I often do; even more often nowadays I open up AcCordance and get
the text on screen so I can switch back and forth between message and Greek
text, but when i'm writing, I really find it easier to have the text before
my eyes, and I've found that easier when reading others' messages on
B-Greek also. That's why I'm putting it up again here:

>>NAI ERWTW KAI SE GNHSIE SUZUGE SULLAMBANOU AUTAIS AITINES EN TW EUAGGELIW
>>SUNHQLHSAN MOI META KAI KLHMENTOS KAI TWN LOIPWN SUNERGWN MOU hWN TA
>>ONOMATA EN BIBLW ZWHS
>>4:4
>>CAIRETE EN KURIW PANTOTE PALIN ERW CAIRETE

>I have come in on the tail end of this so I perhaps missed this, but what
>about the attraction of the "hWN" in hWN ONOMATA EN BIBLWI ZWHS, to the
>gen. - TWN LOIPWN SUNERGWN preceding it? That would seem to be a fairly
>strong argument for taking TA hWN ONOMATA EN BIBLWI ZWHS with the preceding
>verse rather than the following.

Although assimilation of relative pronoun to the case of the antecedent is
common enough, I don't think that's really a factor here--or at any rate
not an identifiable one--because the case of the pronoun required by the
syntax of the relative clause is genitive anyhow. So, at least the
possibility remains that hWN might refer (theoretically) to the implicit
hUMEIS of verse 4:4. But I think the logic of the phrasing suggests that it
more likely refers to those co-workers whom Paul is here warmly praising.

>The other question that I puzzle over is "What difference in Paul's argument
>does the phrase make if taken with the one rather than the other?", but that
>goes beyond B-Greek doesn't it?

No, I don't really think it goes beyond B-Greek, at least insofar as the
question concerns the right way to read the sequence of Greek text in Phil
4:3-4 and the reasons for associating the relative clause preferably with
what precedes or with what follows it

This WAS Bill Ross's question originally, and he said he was wondering if
it is possible that Paul's phrasing here is curiously similar to a Jesus
saying recorded in Luke 10:20 PLHN EN TOUTWI MH CAIRETE hOTI TA PNEUMATA
hUMIN hUPOTASSETAI, CAIRETE DE hOTI TA ONOMATA hUMWN EGGEGRAPTAI EN TOIS
OURANOIS. When you look at the conceptual linkage in in the Jesus-saying,
and if you suppose that the form of the Jesus-saying as CAIRETE hOTI TA
ONOMATA hUMWN EGGEGRAPTAI EN TOIS OURANOIS may have been an independent
oral tradition well-known to Paul (who says in 1 Cor and demonstrates
elsewhere that he DOES have command of at least some of the oral Jesus
tradition) Bill's hypothesis is by no means fanciful, whether or not we
think it's right.

So: I can imagine the linkage of the relative clause as Bill was suggesting
it being something like this:CAIRETE OUN hUMEIS hWN TA ONOMATA EN BIBLWi
ZWHS (ESTIN), with the implicit sense something like, "You then, whose
names are in the book of Life, continue to rejoice!" I don't think it is at
all implausible.

On the other hand, I still think that it is MORE plausible that the
relative clause, hWN TA ONOMATA EN BIBLWi ZWHS was intended to construe
with the names of those SUNERGOI named by Paul in the phrase immediately
preceding it.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu