Re: Euphony Of Vowels

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 10:25:30 EST

Nicholas Wynder

>I am just starting to learn Greek so please be patient in the coming weeks
>regarding my elementary level questions. Does the process of contraction
>happen only for euphonic purposes? Does that change only happen when one
>speaks the language or when it is initially being written? or both?

While working on the chapter on phonetic change in Broks & Winbery,
Morphology, I became convinced that phonetic change in any language
involves a combination of euphony and a kind of economy of syllables. Some
changes do not really "sound better" but prevent a word from having more
syllables. Most phonetic changes take place in the process of inflecting
words, i.e., adding prefixes and suffixes and modifying stems.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
winbery@speedgate.net