RE: Ign. Eph. 15:3, Romans 5:12

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 14:11:19 EST

<Bill>.... and so I look for what might be a subtle but profound difference.

<Carl>
Bill, I don't want to say nor do I mean that you're wrong about this, but I
do think you ought to consider an alternative to what you're asserting
here. Do YOU, in writing an e-mail or in conversation, sometimes say "since
..." and sometimes say "because ..." without meaning any significant
difference whatsoever?

<Bill>
Than you, Carl, for your balancing point, which certainly applies to many
situations where words are thoroughly interchangable. "Since" and "because"
are indeed often used 100% synonymously with zero difference intended.

On the other hand, DIA is so commonly used to mean "because" (ie: agency)
that the sudden appearance of the words EF W (which appear only 4 times in
the NT) I feel demand that the reader suspect that there is a reason. Glibly
assuming that it is identical in meaning as "DIA" seem profoundly naive to
me! Especially in the one verse in the NT that *seems to* be an explicit
reference to "original sin."

And as I showed its usage in Acts 7:33, it need not be idiomatic at all.

Bill Ross