Re: Exegesis of 1 Cor 15:2

From: Eric R. Welch (welch@netease.net)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 22:39:18 EST

1. If they do not "hold fast" to the gospel they had received (which they
were in danger of doing by some of the teachings concerning the
resurrection and the consequences of such teaching13-19--cf. v. 12), they
would not be saved by it. Rejection of this teaching would mean forfeiting
their salvation. If that were not possible, then Paul would not have
written to correct the teaching.

2. The switch to the present in katexete is probably meant to show that
continual holding fast to the gospel preached as a condition of future
salvation in the end.

3. I do not know of any reasons why 'me' is used for an idicative verb
except to say that it is one of those exceptions to the rules of Koine
Greek. Does Paul use this construction anywhere else that you would be
familiar with?

Hope this helps a bit.
Eric Welch