Parallelism in Hab. 3:12 LXX

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 00:44:50 EST

In Hab 3:12 MT the two clauses appear to be parallel both syntactically
and semantically. By this I mean the parallelism is not just confined to
formal elements but also appears at the level of meaning.

(Note: The LXX in this verse differs from the MT at several points but
that has little or no bearing on my question.)

Hab 3:12 LXX (Rahlfs) reads:

EN APEILHi OLIGWSEIS GHN
   KAI
EN QUMWi KATAXEIS EQNH

I have seen a recent private translation of Hab 3:12 LXX where EN
APEILHi is rendered as the means by which the action of the verb is
accomplished and EN QUMWi is rendered as the state in which the agent
performs the action.

EN APEILHi is rendered "by threatening"
EN QUMWi is rendered "in anger"

This rendering seems to negate the semantic parallelism. I suspect that
lexical considerations were active in making this rendering. APEILH is
often found with the meaning "threat." However LEH (vol 2. page 46)
suggests "anger" as the best gloss for this context. Also LEH cites
 Isa 54:9 as an example in the LXX where APEILH should be rendered
"anger."

I noticed that Charles Thomson in his now ancient translation of the LXX
preserves the semantic parallelism:

 Charles Thomson's Rendering:

EN APEILHi is rendered "with a threat"
EN QUMWi is rendered "with wrath"

I would like to suggest that both of these clauses use the EN + dative
to describe the state of the agent and/or some quality of the action. I
would render them with the ambiguous English preposition "in" which
would allow the reader to decide on one of several semantic
instantiations.

EN APEILHi "in anger"
EN QUMWi "in fury"

I am not as concerned about how this parallel structure is glossed as I
am with preserving the semantic level of the parallelism. If anyone can
come up with arguments for abandoning the semantic level of the
parallelism I would like to hear them.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point