Re: Foreign Language Acquisition

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 13:12:50 EST

At 9:26 AM -0800 1/24/00, George Goolde wrote:
>Eugene A. Nida, Learning a Foreign Language, 1957 revised edition. This is
>quite good, but is out of print. Chapters one through five have been
>reprinted in book form by Rio Grande Bible Institute, 4300 South Business
>281, Edinburg, Texas 78539 and can be had for a few bucks from their
>bookstore. Contact Bob Harriman at (956)380-8135 or bobshirlh@juno.com.
>
>I have personally read it and think it is quite good, but it is designed
>for living vice dead languages. Nida's main point is that you learn first
>by listening, then by speaking, and last of all you learn grammar.

George, I know this probably is not the most important part of your
message, and I do have some slight sense of what you might have meant, but
do you care to explain exactly what is meant by "living vice dead
language"? It sounds like something all of us might want to have a nodding
acquaintance with, even if we don't get close enough to contact the disease.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu