Re: M.Pol. 2:1

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 08:47:36 EST

At 8:28 AM -0500 2/2/00, Bart Ehrman wrote:
> In the Martyrdom of Polycarp 2:1 we read DEI GAR EULABESTEROUS hHMAS
>hPARXONTAS TW QEW THN KATA PANTWN ECOUSIAN ANATIQENAI, which translates as
>something like "And we who are sufficiently reverent must attribute the
>ultimate authority to God." But most translations appear to take the
>EULABESTEROUS hHMAS hRARXONTAS adverbially "We must reverently/devoutly
>attibute..."
>
> Any comments/reflections/advice?

Offhand, I would think that taking EULABESTEROUS adverbially is probably
right; I would expect to see hHMAS TOUS EULABESTEROUS hUPARCONTAS if the
phrase were in fact attributive: "we who are more reverent"; as it stands,
particularly with EULABESTEROUS in an emphatic position in front of hHMAS
and close to the beginning of the sentence, I'd think that the phrase
EULABESTEROUS hHMAS hUPARACONTAS ought to mean either "if we are more
reverent" or "because we are more reverent." At any rate, that's what I
think.

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu