Kairos and Chronos

From: J.K. Aitken (jka12@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 09:46:23 EST

Back to Greek business...!

I was wondering if anyone has read the article by Eynkiel and Hauspie (of
LEH fame) on 'Kairos and Chronos in the Septuagint), ETL (1997)?
        I have only quickly skimmed it so far, but it argues that Barr in
Biblical Words for Time was not correct in his anaylsis of the LXX
material and that for the most part there is a distinction between the two
words. I think that they might be correct in the distinction, but I am not
so sure (and I need to read Barr again and their article) whether they are
imputing a theological distinction or importance to the words. If they are
(and some of their translations imply), that might be a different question
(and not for B-Greek!) from that of a distinction between the two words.
        Just wondering if anyone else had read the article and had any
impressions....

        Jim Aitken

Faculty of Divinity,
University of Cambridge,