KATA KAIRON

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 14:31:32 EST

   In 1 Clement 24:2 we read: IDWMEN AGAPHTOI THN KATA KAIRON GINOMENHN
ANASTASIN, "We should consider, beloved, the resurrection that happens
KATA KAIRON." What do you think of rendering it "...the resurrection that
happens all the time," instead of something like "at the right time" or
"at the right season" or the like?

   The text goes on to say that day and night reveal the resurrection
(since the day appears when the night departs, etc.) as do the crops,
which make their regular appearance after sowing. This is just before the
famous passage of the Phoenix, which also proves the resurrection (!).

   Opinions?

-- Bart D. Ehrman