Re: Computer tools for B-Greek?

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 20:57:14 EST

<x-flowed>I can't let this by without jumping on my personal hobby horse.

Computers have traditionally been dumb when it comes to text. Programmers
treated text as a black box. If people could understand it, programs didn't
try hard to understand it, which is why a word processor does not process
words, it lets you do that.

The Internet has started to change that. In particular, XML is much better
at flexibly representing information, including document information.

One of the big things that is happening these days is the evolution of
XML-related standards, including an XML query language activity in the W3C.
In five years, our ability to flexibly manage a collection of documents
will be much better than it is now, and our ability to integrate
traditional data in our documents will also be better.

Of course, I'm an enthusiast. XML is what I do for a living.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Robie
R&D Fellow, Software AG