Re: Teaching Greek

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 14:55:10 EST

----------
>From: spuluka <spuluka@hotmail.com>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Re: Teaching Greek
>Date: Thu, Mar 2, 2000, 9:53 AM
>

> I would contend that deep knowledge of the subject is less than half of a
> truly good teacher. A sensitivity to needs of your class and an ability to
> present the material in a way that can be understood are just as important.
> These yield that motivation for outside work which is essential in learning
> languages well.

Steve,

This is a point worth making. I know some people who studied OT Hebrew
in the '70s at a little known school in Texas. They took classes from
Bruce Waltke and also from Alan P. Ross. They were astounded by Waltke's
command of the subject matter but they considered Ross a superior
instructor for the reasons you have mentioned.

Clay