RE: John 4:24 missing auton

From: Jason Hare (parousia_occ@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 01:55:14 EST

Jay,

> John 4:24 PNEUMA hO QEOS, KAI TOUS PROSKUNOUNTAS
> AUTON EN PNEUMATI KAI ALHQEIA DEI PROSKUNEIN
>
> I have a hard copy of Nestles Greek text that leaves

> out AUTON in this verse. There is no mention of any

> variants in my UBS 3rd edition or from Alford's
> 'Greek Testament.' Is this just a misprinted copy?

> Every other copy of the Greek NT I have includes the

> pronoun, including my TR. Would it even be
> grammatically possible for this pronoun to be
> excluded by elision in some MSS?

You will notice that the NA27 reading is KAI TOUS
PROSKUNOUNTAS AUTON... The apparatus says that the
25th edition left it out because of original aleph,
original D, ff2 (j). However, the weight in the other
direction convinced them to replace it in the 27th
edition. That being papyri 66 and 75, secondary
aleph, A, B, C, D1, L, W, theta, psi, 086, families 1
& 13, 33, Majority, latin, and syriac.

I think that weight is pretty good. You might check
out Metzger's _Textual Commentary_ and see what rating
it was given. I would bet it was high.

Blessings in the Name,

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College