Re: 1Cor 1:24

From: Dmitriy Reznik (reznik1@juno.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 19:11:37 EST

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:45:00 -0600 "Harold R. Holmyard III"
<hholmyard@ont.com> writes:
> Dear Dmitri,
> In 1 Cor 1:24, is it not possible to look at Christ, in
> relation to
> verse 23, as an object of evaluation by by Paul's listeners? Paul
> preaches
> Christ crucified. To the Jews Christ crucified is a scandal. To the
> Greeks
> He is foolishness, but to the called, He is God's power and God's
> wisdom.
>
> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard

Of course, Christ is an object of listeners' evoluation. It is not a
question. Still within the whole sentence Christ crucified, and
stumblingblock, and foolishness, and power of G-d, and wisdom of G-d are
objects of Paul's preaching because all of them are in Accusative. There
is no separate sentence like "Christ is this or that". It's a part of a
larger sentence: We preach Christ crusified, the one who is ... but unto
them that are called, both Jews and Greeks, [we preach] Christ THE ONE
WHO IS the power of God, and the wisdom of God (or: [we preach] Christ AS
the power of God, and the wisdom of God). First option describes Christ
Himself whom Paul preaches about, and the second option tells HOW he
preaches about him. That was my original question: how to make a choice
between these two options.

Dmitriy

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.