LXX 3 Ki. 7:10

From: Kevin L. Barney (klbarney@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 16:18:09 EST

I have some questions regarding the captioned scripture. Being at the
office without resources, I was hoping someone on the list might be able to
assist me.

The text of this passage is as follows:

KAI EPOIHSEN THN QALASSAN DEKA EN PHXEI APO TOU
XEILOUS AUTHS EWS TOU XEILOUS AUTHS STROGGULON KUKLW
TO AUTO PENTE EN PHXEI TO UYOS AUTHS KAI SUNHGMENOI
TREIS KAI TRIAKONTA EN PHXEI EKUKLOUN AUTHN.

For comparative purposes, the NIV of the equivalent passage based on the
MT, 1 Ki. 7:23, reads as follows:

"He made the Sea of cast metal, circular in shape, measuring ten cubits
from rim to rim and five cubits high. It took a line of thirty cubits to
measure around it."

[If anyone is curious, my interest in this scripture is the fact that the
LXX has the circumference at 33 cubits rather than the MT at 30.]

My questions are as follows:

1. How would you translate the Greek?

2. I believe STROGGULON is from the adj. STROGGULOS, "round, spherical."
How is it being used here? Is it a substantive, something like "a
spherical thing (in a circular shape)"?

3. To what does TO AUTO refer?

4. How is SUNHGMENOI being used? As this comes from SUNAGW, "bring
together," the meaning of the participle wasn't clear to me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney@yahoo.com