The hUMWN variant in 2 Cor 6:11

From: Paul Toseland (paul@toseland.f9.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 07:30:31 EST

I have suggested recently that the generally rejected hUMWN variant in 2
Cor 6:11 may actually make good sense; pp 231-39 of "The Corinthian
Crisis", available in .pdf format at:

http://www.toseland.f9.co.uk/paul/ccindex.htm

By taking THN DE AUTHN ANTIMISQIAN in apposition with STENOCWREISQE DE
EN TOIS SPLAGCNOIS hUMWN the following translation seems to be
feasible:

Our mouth [has opened and] is open to you, Corinthians! Your heart has
become enlarged. You are not being crushed by us; you are being crushed
by your inward parts, the corresponding penalty! - I am speaking as
though to children. Be indeed enlarged!

I am suggesting that Paul is using a simple, even crude anatomical
metaphor. Like children who have eaten too much, the Corinthians are
suffering from the bloating of their 'inner parts'. The real cause of
the STENOCWRIA they complain of is not any failure in Paul's ministry,
but their lust for idol meat. They are suffering the corresponding
penalty - divine discipline (with an allusion to Deut 11:13-17). The
suggested exegetical basis depends upon a non-standard reconstruction of
the events leading up to he composition of 2 Corinthians, and is too
complex to be summarized in detail here. However, I would like to
invite comments on any syntactical issues. In particular, is there
anything questionable about the repetition of DE in STENOCWREISQE DE EN
TOIS SPLAGCNOIS hUMWN, THN DE AUTHN ANTIMISQIAN?

Many thanks.

Paul Toseland
Bristol, UK