Re: PARASKEUH

From: Polycarp66@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 19:21:36 EDT

In a message dated 4/25/2000 8:29:07 AM Central Standard Time,
parousia_occ@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 I am just curious if you have any information on when the word PARASKEUH
(see John 19.14) started
 being used strictly as Friday. Could it have had that meaning in the
passage in John?? I think
 that would be interesting to find out. If you could provide some info, I'd
appreciate it.

Roughly contemporary with the gospels, Josephus uses PARASKEUH for Friday in
Antiquities 16, 163

[162] KAISAR SEBASTOS ARXIEREUS DHMARXIKHS ECOUSIAS LEGEI. EPEIDH TO EQNOS
TO TWN IOUDAIWN EUXARISTON EUREQH OU MONON EN TWi ENESTWTI KAIRWi ALLA KAI EN
TWi PROGEGENHMENW* KAI MALISTA EPI TPI EMOU PATROS AUTOKRATOROS KAISAROS PROS
TON DHMON TON RWMAIWN O TE ARXIEREUS AUTWN hURKANOS [163] EDOCE MOI KAI TWi
EMWi SUMBOULIWi META hORKWMOSIAS GNWMHi DHMOU RWMAIWN TOUS IOUDAIOUS XRHSQAI
TOIS IDIOS QESMOIS KATA TON PATRION AUTWN NOMON, KAQWS EXRWNTO EPI hURKANOU
ARXIEREWS QEOU hUYISTOU, TA TE hIERA EINAI EN ASULIAi KAI ANAPEMPESQAI EIS
hIEROSOLUMA KAI APODIDOSQAI TOIS APODOXEUSIN hIEEROSOLUMWN, EGGUAS TE MH
hOMOLOGEIN AUTOUS EN SABBATASIN H THi PRO AUTHS PARASKEUHi APO hWRAS ENATEHS.

)[162] "Caesar Augustus, high priest and tribune of the people, ordains thus:
Since the nation of the Jews hath been found grateful to the Roman people,
not only at this time, but in time past also, and chiefly Hyrcanus the high
priest, under my father 1 Caesar the emperor, it seemed good to me and my
counselors, according to the sentence and oath of the people of Rome, that
the Jews have liberty to make use of their own customs, according to the law
of their forefathers, as they made use of them under Hyrcanus the high priest
of the Almighty God; and that their sacred money be not touched, but be sent
to Jerusalem, and that it be committed to the care of the receivers at
Jerusalem; and that they be not obliged to go before any judge on the sabbath
day, nor on the day of the preparation to it, after the ninth hour.

If you would like to read in in true Greek charaters (I know I would), here's
the URL

<A
HREF="http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=1999.01.0145&query=sectio
n%3D%235767">http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=1999.01.0145&query