Re: Gal 2:20 - to the Son

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 10:01:09 EDT

At 7:44 AM -0400 4/30/00, Mike Sangrey wrote:
>Bill Ross <wross@farmerstel.com> said:
>> The word ZAW primarily denotes "to live, to be posessed of vitality,
>> to exercise the functions of life". In many instances it appears in
>> English to be idiomatic but is not, resulting in important
>> misunderstanding. Case in point, Romans 1:17:
>
>> It is not "The just person shall conduct himself faithfully"
>
>> but rather
>
>> "He who through faith is righteous shall live"
>
>I usually take Romans 1:17 as dual meaning. The reason for my thinking is
>APOKALUPTETAI EK PISTEWS EIS PISTIN. I think of EK PISTEWS as the doorway of
>faith we step *out* of leading *into* the hallway of faith. My thinking is
>Paul takes a clause hO DE DIKAIOS EK PISTEWS ZHSETAI which by itself would be
>ambiguous and by adding the previous clause, succinctly captures two major
>doctrines--justification and sanctification.

I've heard it argued (or read--and I'm not sure where in all that I've read
on this passage one place or another) that Paul understood ZHSETAI in the
sense "will have life in the age-to-come"--i.e., will have ZWHN AIWNION,
the assumption being that this is Paul's response to the question (Mt
19:16) TI AGAQON POIHSW hINA SCW ZWHN AIWNION--or the phrase EIS ZWHN
EISELQEIN (Mt 18:8) or the phrase ZWHN KLHRONOMHSAI. This may have been in
Nygren's commentary on Romans, but there are so many places it could have
been. What makes this seem the more probable to me is the antithesis
APOKALUPTETAI hH DIKAIOSUNH QEOU AND APOKALUPTETAI hH ORGH QEOU right at
the beginning of the exposition in Romans--in which case then the focus
would be on the apocalyptic crisis, the impending judgment, and the basis
for "entering into life." It is interesting to see how broad is the range
of meanings of ZAW that people want to read this text
to indicate.

--

Carl W. Conrad Department of Classics/Washington University One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018 Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649 cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/