Re: KAQWS EMAQETE

From: haskellrob (haskellrob@home.com)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 23:12:21 EDT

>Colossians 1:7
>
>"just as you learned (what?) from Epaphras"
>
>What did the Colossians learn from Epaphras?
>
>1. CARIN (of verse 6)
>2. TOU EUAGGELIOU (of verse 5)

Mark,

An interesting question. I noticed there 2 other KAQWS in v 6. Here's how I
am seeing the flow fo the passage starting in v 3:

Paul thanks God for the Colossian's faith, love and hope (Where have I heard
that combination before?) which came to them through the gospel KAQWS it is
bearing fruit in all the world KAQWS it has been doing in you since they
heard the grace of God KAQWS they learned from Epaphras.

It's a string of comparitive connectors: ...came to them KAQWS bearing fruit
KAQWS learned from Epaphras

What did they learn from Epaphras then? Two options (thought different that
yours - maybe that doesn't solve anything, sorry!)

1. They learned the whole package of vs 4-5 (faith, love, hove = the
gospel). This content is carried through to v 7 by the flow of the passage
("grace" in v 6 is a shorthand recalling of that package)
2. But perhaps we should not make EMAQETE substantive (learned IT) as NIV
RSV and NASB (KJV="ye learned of Epaphras"). The "it" in English makes us
look for a definiftion. But it is possible to read it as: "Just as you
learned (that it would) from Epaphras" This seems to flow from the movement
of the passage. The terminology is very "progressive": "heard in the word
of truth" "which has come to you" "it is bearing fruit and increasing" "as
it has been doing" - Just as you learned (that is would) from Epaphras.

I lean to #1, but #2 is an interesting option. Happy studying!

Rob Haskell

(NASB)
3 We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always
for you,
4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have
for all the saints; 5 because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of
which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel 6 which has come
to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and
increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of
it and understood the grace of God in truth; 7 just as you learned it from
Epaphras, our beloved fellow bond-servant, who is a faithful servant of
Christ on our behalf, 8 and he also informed us of your love in the Spirit.

leave-b-greek-327Q@franklin.oit.unc.edu