Re: Galatians 3:19 DIATAGEIS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 08:46:38 EDT

At 1:21 AM -0400 5/20/00, Suedaleg@aol.com wrote:
>Hello freinds:
>
>Help? I ahve run into a word in Gal. 3:19 that I seem to have either
>forgotten the connection or perhaps had never run into it before.
>
>The sentance reads:
>
>TWN PARABASEWN XARIN PROSETEQH AXRIS OU ELQHi TO SPERMA hWi EPHGGELETAI,
>DIATAGEIS DI AGGELWN EN XEIRI MESITOU.
>
>The word in question is DIATAGEIS at the beginning of the second clause. I
>have determined that this is a form of one of two words:
>
>1: DIATAGH, "Arrangement" but which case? my declension would be
>
>DIATAGH . DIATAGAI
>DIATAGHS . DIATAGWN
>DIATAGHi . DIATAGAIS
>DIATAGHN . DIATAGAS
>
>Genative singular seems closest, but should it not have an antcedent in this
>case?
>
>or
>
>2: DIATASSW "to arrange" but what tense ,etc. Aorist or perfect perhaps but
>what person and number give -EIS?
>
>I have tentatively place both options in my notes and seem to see the idea in
>either case. My thoughts on this verse so far goes like this:
>
>It was added a grace for transgessors until the seed has come to whom it was
>promised, | an arrangement | arranged | by angels by the hand of a mediator.
>
>Am I close?

This is an aorist passive participle nom. sg. masc.; the verb DIATASSW can
take a number of meanings; although its most fundamental sense is
"order/arrange/set in order", it often means "instruct" or "command" or
"assign." Perhaps here one might even use "ordain." Here the aorist passive
participle DIATAGEIS refers back to hO NOMOS: "the Law ordained/ordered
through angels by hand of a mediator."

The stem in question here is what's often called a "second passive"--i.e.
an archaic form of the so-called aorist passive (which I would argue is
actually simply an intransitive non-thematic form of the aorist used
generally in a middle-voice, sometimes in a passive-voice sense); the more
common "first passive" has a -QH- marker, but these "second passives"
generally have simply an -H- stem vowel (more rarely -W- as in
hEALWN/hEALWS/hEALW); principal parts (yes, I do believe in principal
parts!) of this verb:

        DIA-TASSW, DIA-TAXW, DI-E-TAXA, DIA-TETACA, DI-E-TAGHN

One does see also a "first-passive" DI-E-TACQHN.

The participle is based on the short-vowel form of the stem DIATAGE-NT-
with appropriate 3d decl. endings.
--

Carl W. Conrad