Re: Apposition: modifier-head

From: B.J. Williamson (hellen_ic@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 19:42:55 EDT

<x-flowed>

Clay:

You wrote:

>What is the "head" substantive in Romans 1:1?

>PAULOS DOULOS CRISTOU IHSOU,
>KLYTOS APOSTOLOS AFWRISMENOIS EIS EUAGGELION QEOU,

>Trick question? Yes indeed.

>Well thinking in terms of sets and subsets, if PAULOS was the head then we
>would have a complex term which we could read as:
-------------

I can assure you I'm in the minority here, but I have never given
much credence to the subset and convertible propositions within
appositional constructs like those in Romans 1:1.

To me, the point of the appositional construct is (!) to
make an equation between the two ideas
in that context. It is not making a universal statement;
it is making an equation in the specific context that the
writer has developed.

That is, within THIS SPECIFIC CONTEXT A=B.

Here is an example typically not seen as convertible:

1 Cor. 1:18

hO LOGOS GAR hO TOU STAUROU ... MWRIA ESTI

In this context, the specific aspect to the LOGOS
hO TOU STAUROS that Paul has in mind is indeed
MWRIA to the ones perishing.
There is a one-to-one correspondence. A=B

Foolishness can be defined IN THIS CONTEXT as any statement that
the perishing ones appraise as moronic. The word of the cross is
considered by those perishing as moronic; hence, it is foolishness.

This is different than, “The foolish word of the cross.”

The appositional construct’s dynamic is its equative force. It is
a very visual tool for the reader, especially when one substantive
is concrete and the other abstract.

Paul = slave = apostle (In appositional constructs like this,
the writer is not referring to slaves in general, or apostles
in general. In fact, the writer is not addressing whether or
not there are other Pauls, slaves, or apostles. That is not
under consideration.)

What the Word was, God was...

Respectfully,

B.J. Williamson