1 John 3:6b not quite revisited

From: Emory Pitts (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 16:29:37 EDT

<x-flowed>I realize that this verse was touched on last October, but my question is of
a different nature.

1 John 3:6
PAS hO EN AUTWi MENWN OUC hAMARTANEI
PAS hO hAMARTANWN OUC hEWRAKEN AUTON OUDE EGNWKEN AUTON

I am trying to get a handle on the sequence (chronology) of events described
here.

In 3:6b, I’ll assume that the perfect tense denotes its general “current
state of affairs” resulting from a past act. If this assumption is correct,
then could someone please indicate which act comes first:

1. PAS hO hAMARTANWN
2. OUC hEWRAKEN AUTON OUDE EGNWKEN AUTON?

Of course, I should wonder if both acts occur simultaneously.

The one who sins simultaneously enters into a state

The one who sins consequently enters into a state

The one who sins remains in a state that was previously entered into
(That is, remains in a state that the one who sins was in prior to sinning.)

It’s the "past act" of the perfects (OUC hEWRAKEN and EGNWKEN) that I am
trying to relate to the one who sins. The one who sins does not seem to have
a temporal reference point, which is creating a problem for me.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson