Re: 1 Cor 7:40

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 18:41:08 EDT

At 6:08 PM -0400 5/27/00, Dmitriy Reznik wrote:
>Dear Carl,
>
>You wrote:
>

>> However, in the above instance, I think I would be more inclined to
>> take
>> the EGW of the KA'GW (crasis) as the subject of DOKW rather than
>> more
>> directly as the subject of ECEIN,
>
>So it should mean "And I also think that I have ..." So if EGW in KAGW is
>a subject of DOKW, then KAI should mean that somebody else thinks
>something. But the context doesn't mentioned any other "thinker". Who
>could it be?

As I read the context of this chapter, which as a whole consists of Paul's
advice on matters brought to his attention from and about problems in the
church at Corinth, he is endeavoring, when he takes a position, to justify
the stance he assumes. On some points he tries to reason with those he is
addressing. In 7:25 he says PERI DE TWN PARQENWN EPITAGHN KURIOU OUK ECW,
GNWMHN DE DIDWMI hWS ELEHMENOS hUPO KURIOU PISTOS EINAI; although this is
expressed somewhat differently, I think it is similar to what we find in
7:40. Here (7:25) he has no Dominical LOGION that will settle the question
about PARQENOI, but he offers his own GNWMH by virtue of the fact God's
mercy through Christ has enabled him to be trustworthy when he gives his
GNWMH. In 7:40 he states a GNWMH: MAKARIWTERA DE ESTIN EAN hOUTWS MEINHi,
KATA THN EMHN GNWMHN, and then gives as a justification the phrase with
which we are concerned: DOKW DE KA'GW PNEUMA QEOU ECEIN. I don't think he's
comparing himself with others who may think they have the Spirit of God;
rather he's saying "this is my judgment--and when I offer it I am also of
the opinion that I have the Spirit of God. The phraseology of the two
passages is different, but I think both are expressions of his confidence
that his GNWMH is not simply a subjective notion of his own: "I do think
this is right, and when I say so, I also think that I am inspired to think
so." Does that help any? I don't personally claim any inspiration for the
opinion I've just offered: it's simply a reasoning from what I see in the
text and context.

--

Carl W. Conrad