Re: Wine

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 16:39:04 EDT

At 09:06 PM 6/12/00 +0100, you wrote:
>On a purely practical level, I find it hard to see how OINOS could be
>unfermented grape juice, at least for more than a few hours - grapes have a
>very high sugar content and grape skins carry their own yeast. In a
>Mediterranean climate, before the advent of modern cooling techniques,
>fermentation would surely have occurred naturally and rapidly

the whole notion arises because some think it wrong to put a slathering of
wine on the tea-totalling lips of jesus. so, in an efort to remove the vile
vine from the blessed saviour's sacred lips, the wine is turned into water
(in a sense). to support this really incredible and impossible supposition,
exegesis has to make oinos into grapejuice whilst oinou remains wine. i.e.,
if i recall the argument correctly, in the nominative the word means juice
and in the genitive it means wine (or vice versa).

such gymnastics betray a woeful and unlearned attitude towards first century
palestinian life.

Jim

" The righteous man looks after his own soul, and the bodies of others,
whereas the hypocrite looks after his own body, and the souls of others"
Rabbi Lionel Blue

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest