[b-greek] Re: Gal. 4:5 Adoption FOLLOW-UP

From: Mark Wilson (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 10:51:05 EDT

<x-flowed>

>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>

>It appears to me that the entry in VED is based upon the theology of >John
>1:12-13 rather than on the usage of the Greek noun hUIOQESIA and >the Greek
>verbal idiom hUION/hUIOUS TIQEMAI or hUION/hUIOUS POIOUMAI.

My last post got me curious enough to look a little further on my own. And
have found somewhat of a similar statement of adoption not ALWAYS used of
adopting a non-family member into a family.

One author indicated that this word comes from "son" and "placing, or to
place." Hence, to place as a son (adult, not child). However, this adoption
ceremony takes place with "natural" sons as well.

That is, it carried the idea of a "child" being placed into, and recognized
as, an ADULT child (son) of the family, when all the privileges and
responsibities where conferred upon him. This ceremony took place with sons
who were natural members of the family.

I guess this would be something like the Bar Mitzvah.

This at least agrees with one aspect of Vine's definition.

Can anyone confirm or deny this dimension to ancient adoption?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson