[b-greek] Re: perfect PROISTHMI...

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 10:09:43 EDT

<x-flowed>At 14:40 06/07/00, Roe wrote:
>BTW, my earlier attempts to access the Smyth grammar at the Somerville,
>MA site had failed, and now I see at the Berlin site a diffenent
>interface and the grammar being called "A Greek Grammar ***for
>Colleges***"... and they don't yet have the 1956 Grammar available. Is
>this "for Colleges" grammar the same grammar as that which was on the
>Somerville site?

You will find "Herbert Weir Smyth, A Greek
                     Grammar for Colleges
at:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:abo:sec,00001

The interface you found at the Berlin mirror site is the interface which
now appears on the CD-ROM of the platform-independent v.2 of Perseus. It
also appear when you go to: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/

You won't find the 1956 edition for reasons of copyright.

Originally, the work was given the " .... for Colleges " title, to
distinguish it from a simplified version " ..... for Schools". The 1956
edition did away with the distinction, but the older title serves still to
distinguish what is in the public domain, as against what is still
protected by copyright. Much of the difference, it would appear, lies in
the omission
of historical material from the first edition, plus some corrigenda and an
addition to some few sections

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros@iol.ie