[b-greek] Romans 6:7

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 13:30:53 EDT

Romans 6:7

     hO GAR APOQANWN DEDIKAIWTAI APO THS hAMARTIAS.

Given the context, the way I want to translate this is something like:

  For the one permanently separately from sin has been declared righteous.

Joining the prepositional phrase to the participle.

But, can I do that? It seems to me, based on grammar, that it should
be translated as:

  For the one who has died has been declared righteous apart from sin.

Well, pardon me, but no kidding. Can a person be declared righteous
and remain in sin. Of course! there is a separation from sin in the act of
justification. (Pardon the theology, if a different theological perspective
clears this up, reply off-list. I'll be glad for the help.)

Or, is the sense more along these lines:

  For the one who died has been declared righteous, and sin is
  not even (or no longer) considered.

Thanks for any help.

--
Mike Sangrey