[b-greek] 1 Peter 5:1 Temporal reference?

From: Mark Wilson (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 01:04:27 EDT

<x-flowed>
hO KAI THS MELLOUSHS APOKALUPTESQAI DOXHS KOINWNOS

1 Peter 5:1

“So as your fellow elder and a witness of Christ’s sufferings and as one who
shares in the glory that will be revealed, I urge the elders among you:”
(NET Bible)

My question has to do with the temporal reference in this clause.

The NET Bible seems to translate hO KOINWNOS: “one who shares.”

This seems to imply to me a “current state” of Peter. As if, “and as one who
currently shares in the glory, the glory that will one day be revealed.” As
if Peter is experiencing some kind of “fore taste.”

Is there any substantiation for this temporal implication?

Am I completely misunderstanding the English (NET Bible):

“So as your fellow elder (CURRENTLY) and a witness of Christ’s sufferings
(IN THE PAST) and as one who shares (CURRENTLY) in the glory that will be
revealed (FUTURE), I urge the elders among you:”

Thank you,

Mark Wilson