[b-greek] Re: Definiteness of Anarthrous Nouns in Prepositional Phrases

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 19:40:31 EDT

<x-flowed>At 06:12 PM 7/24/00 -0700, dixonps@juno.com wrote:

>Please note I changed the Subject heading from Eph 5:18 EN PNEUMATI
>to Definiteness of Anarthrous Nouns in Prepositional Phrases, since this
>seems to reflect the progress being made.
> > I ran EN followed immediately by PNEUMA and:
> >
> > 1) w/o article: 36x
> > 2) w/ article: 7x
> >
> > Mark 12:36 (GNT)
> > Luke 2:27
> > Luke 4:1
> > Luke 10:21
> > Acts 19:21
> > Roma 1:9
> > 1Cor 6:11
>
>What would be especially helpful is the list of the 36 occurrences
>without the article, so we can determine how many of them are
>definite. Did you already send me that list?

I've never really tried to keep any kind of mental record of when they are
definite, indefinite, or anarthrous, so I won't even hazard a guesstimate;
all I can say is that it happens regularly that they are definite. In the
final analysis, you can only tell by context-related issues has been my
experience....though I'd have to say that in general its usually pretty
obvious for one reason or another (my experience reading Greek has taught
me that if it isn't clear or if the writer wants to make a point, he'll go
ahead and put the article in, otherwise he leaves it out, assuming that the
reader is clever enough to make the determination). There's got to be some
dissertations on this somewhere... (-;

As to the 36x...

Matt 3:11 (GNT)
Matt 12:28
Matt 22:43
Mark 1:8
Mark 1:23
Mark 5:2
Luke 1:17
Luke 3:16
John 1:33
John 4:23, 24
Acts 1:5
Acts 11:16
Roma 2:29
Roma 8:9
Roma 9:1
Roma 14:17
Roma 15:16
1Cor 12:3
1Cor 14:16
2Cor 6:6
Gala 6:1
Ephe 2:22
Ephe 3:5
Ephe 5:18
Ephe 6:18
Colo 1:8
1The 1:5
1Tim 3:16
1Pet 1:12
Jude 1:20
Reve 1:10
Reve 4:2
Reve 17:3
Reve 21:10

Enjoy, enjoy....

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-251-6478 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com