[b-greek] 1st Century Inscriptions

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 02:54:10 EDT

Dropped in at a book store and found a gem among the Eerdmans remainders. If
you want to do some reading of 1st Century Inscriptions from the Jewish
Diaspora, then get your hands on this book:

Irina Levinskaya The Book of Acts in Its Diaspora Setting
Michigan: William B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1996

Irina Levinskaya is a Russian historian who has a special interest in the
book of Acts. She also has a background in philology. Her book has several
plates (photographs) of 1st century inscriptions which are clear enough to
use for making your own transcriptions. If you don't want to do this she has
transcribed them for you and in some cases produced translations as well. Of
course no one on this list is going to want an English translation. Are
they?

I have an inside source (in Moscow) who told me that Irina Levinskaya spends
very little time in Russia and likes to be at Oxford as much as possible.
The may have something to do with libraries. Who knows?

My first impression of this book is it looks like a real find.

If you want to purchase it check out the web book sellers who carry
remainders. I saw it at **Powells for $12 and at *TROUBADOUR BOOKS for $10.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*TROUBADOUR BOOKS, 336 West Street, P.O. Box 94, N. Hatfield, MA, U.S.A.,
01066. Phone: 413-247-3028. Email: trubooks@javanet.com

**Powells Bookstores, Inc. of Chicago, IL, 828 South Wabash Ave., Chicago,
IL, U.S.A., 60605. Fax: 312-341-1614. Email: orders@powellschicago.com