[b-greek] Re: QRIAMBEUONTI as causative

From: Mark Wilson (emory2002@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 12:37:42 EDT

<x-flowed>

Carl, in citing the Latin TRIUMPHO, quotes:

------
B. Trop., to triumph, exult, be glad, rejoice exceedingly:

(b). With other objects, to triumph over, to lead in triumph; or, in gen.,
to conquer:
-----

I am not clear on the implications of these Latin definitions.

Does this mean that we can use “to triumph over” as a possible translation
in 2 Cor. 2:14?

Reversing the idea from:

“But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession (as ones
who have been conquered)” (NET Bible)

to something more like:

“But thanks be to God who always leads us to triumph over (our foes).”

This last, revised translation is what I understood to be invalid. Do these
definitions cited by Carl support this “invalid” transation?

I think I am misunderstanding this.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson