[b-greek] Re: 1st Century Inscriptions

From: Ekaterini Tsalampouni (etsalampouni@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 09:54:15 EDT

<x-flowed>As a matter of fact I have already read the book of Levinskaya and I can
agree with you that is really good. The focus of the book is on the
missionary activity of 1st century Judaism and the Godfearers but she also
presents the evidence about the Jewish Diaspora from the cities of the
Greco-Roman world mentioned in the Acts. She also discusses the problem of
the cult of Theos Hypsistos, a very interesting cult indeed, and she
contests its Jewish background. However, since I also discussed the problem
of the Jewish Diaspora in Macedonia in my dissertation (Macedonia in the NT
times), I may remark that she doesn't devote much space to the discussion of
the Macedonian evidence. She doesn't say for example anything about the cult
of Theos Hypsistos there which flourished about in the middle of the 1st
century AD. I could also point to you, dear list members, who are interested
in the history of NT times that there is a recent article on the Jewish
inscriptions from Beroea in TEKMERIA 4(1998/9), pp. 13-29 (in Greek with an
English summary). Since I am not an expert in Diaspora in other cities I
cannot say whether there are such problems in the presentation of the
evidence elsewhere in the book and generally speaking I could say that the
book of Leviskaya is a good contribution to the issue of 1st century Jewish
Diaspora, not only because the writer knows the recent bibliography but
because she also makes ample use of the inscriptions.

With best regards
Dr. Ekaterini Tsalampouni