[b-greek] Re: Son of Man

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 07:50:26 EDT

The thread on Son of Man, presumably carried over from the B-Translation
list (where it has been the focus considerable interest and speculation
regarding how one is to translate intelligible an expression that nobody
seems yet to have understood in a way that can be explained convincingly)
has been an interesting one, albeit pretty clearly outside the proper scope
of our forum, inasmuch as it isn't a question of the morphology or syntax
of the Greek phrase hUIOS TOU ANQRWPOU or properly even of ordinary Greek
lexicography--the parts of the phrase are perfectly intelligible Greek, but
the whole has never been clarified to the point that there's any consensus
regarding its meaning. Nor is it clear that investigation of it in terms of
an Aramaic original has yet produced a satisfying answer. It IS hard to
translate a phrase of this sort that we must confess we don't understand.

I think the discussion probably belongs to a forum on the gospels, whether
Synoptic-L or johannine-literature. It has been interesting and I haven't
seen any reason to squelch the thread so long as the focus is the meaning
of the phrase rather than theological implications, but it seems to me that
the suggestions regarding the phrase constitute an embarras de richesse
(too many explanations with more to come because none is really
convincing), and that there's not really much point in pursuing this topic
on B-Greek any longer UNLESS someone can show how the GREEK phrase, hUIOS
TOU ANQRWPOU, is intelligible AS GREEK.
--

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu