[b-greek] GINWSKW plus Perfect Tense

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 01:44:53 EDT

<x-flowed>

Throughout 1st John, John uses the Perfect Tense of GINWSKW. A commentary I
am reading insists that this should be translated "come to know."

Although he does state that the Perfect Tense is not a past tense, but
indicates the current state attained based on a past action, I am having a
hard time understanding his "come to know."

I think many on this list have preferred the emphasis to fall on the state
reached, as in: "are in a state of knowing [him]."

To me, "come to know" has a repetitive sense. To "come to know" seems to
imply an often repeated process of getting to know him more and more until
at last a state of knowing him is attained. How does the Perfect zero in on
this process? Does not the Perfect simply show the final outcome, as it
were?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.