[b-greek] Re: NA26: Manuscript evidence lacking?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 16:33:17 EDT

on 10/17/00 12:33 PM, Theodore H Mann wrote:

> I received an email this morning from a friend who surprised me by
> claiming that there are readings in NA26 that have no manuscript support
> at all. I have emailed him, requesting that he identify those readings
> for me. While I am waiting for his reply, however, I thought this might
> be of interest to the list. Are there in fact passages in NA 26 that
> have no manuscript support? If so, what is the rationale for including
> them? Do these same readings appear in NA27?

Ted,

Your friend is probably confused about what a "reading" is and is mixing up
the normal editorial work done in producing any NT Greek critical edition
with adopting a non-existent reading.

For example there are abbreviations in the manuscripts which are expanded in
the critical editions. It would be easy for someone who doesn't understand
this to say that the expanded abbreviation was not supported by any
manuscript but this would be a hollow argument.

Critical editions are the product of an editorial process which is somewhat
complex and one must do some reading in B.M. Metzger* and K. & B. Aland* to
get an overview of these issues.

The only critical edition I know about which has readings with no Greek MMS
support is the one produced by Erasmus where he had a defective copy of the
Apocalypse and supplied some back translations from the Vulgate in to Greek
to fill in the gaps. There are doubtless other critical editions which have
conjectural readings. However, as I understand it NA26/27 shuns textual
conjecture. I may be proven wrong on this, it will be pointed out
immediately if that is the case.

Clay Bartholomew

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew