[b-greek] Re: systematic v. idiosyncratic (formerly Re: 5 Case v. 8 Case)

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 16:21:43 EDT

on 10/18/00 10:49 PM, Mark Beatty wrote:

> Having said that, I would not want to criticize Wallace for writing a
> lexicon of morphological usage. Such works are helpful for morphological
> studies, as BADG and Kittle are for lexical studies. I would, however, want
> to object to the claim that Wallace accounted for the syntactic system of
> Koine Greek. He wrote a lexicon, not a "syntax" as the word is used by many
> linguists.

Mark,

This is an intriguing remark. I also would not find anything wrong with
writing up a "lexicon" of the 100 most frequent semantic/pragmatic
applications of the NT Greek genitive. However we still need to understand
syntax and learning a list of 100 genitives does not get you there.

Where do we go from here? How would you present the subject of NT Greek
syntax? Not in detail, but what approach would you use?

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point