[b-greek] A clarification on Rules

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 12:57:38 EST

<x-flowed>

Based on a significant OFFLIST response to my last post, I think the listing
of the following two rules will help illustrate my point: (and perhaps find
agreement with Wes' last posting as well)

Smart's rule

"In native KOINE Greek when the copulative KAI connects two titles of
personal description [viz. singular nouns, plural nouns, article noun KAI
noun constructions or compound proper name which are both either
articular or anarthrous] and a personal
pronoun in the genitive case modifies the first of the said titles, and is
repeated with respect to the second title, there are always two persons or
groups of persons in view."

Uncle Bob's rule (last part only differs from Smart's rule)

"In native KOINE Greek when the copulative KAI connects two titles of
personal description [viz. singular nouns, plural nouns, article noun KAI
noun constructions or compound proper name which are both either
articular or anarthrous] and a personal
pronoun in the genitive case modifies the first of the said titles, and is
repeated with respect to the second title, there are either two
persons/groups or one person/group being designated, context will be
determinative."

For example, John 20:28 and 1 Tim 1:1 both refer to one person,
while 1 Th 3:11 refers to two. In each instance, the context is clear.

I think this illustrates how careful we need to be when we designate
a grammatical construct as a "rule." In this example, Smart and Uncle Bob
use that same constructs but draw different conclusions.

Carl, I agree that an academic background, by itself, does not guarantee
that a "rule" is valid. But I do believe that a rule known as Conrad's rule,
Wallace's rule, Porter's rule, etc, carries a little more weight than an
Uncle Bob's or Smart's "rule." (It is my opinion only that this Smart "rule"
seemed all too theologically motivated, with easy to find exceptions.) [And
I find it odd that one would not disclose his academic background who
presents such a rule. But again, that is just my personal opinion.]

Based on your academic background and accomplishments, Carl, I believe you
have earned a right to be heard. I just do not believe life is long enough
to give everyone who wants to make "rules" equal time. But, I speak for
myself only.

Regards,

Mark Wilson

http://profiles.msn.com.