[b-greek] Re: Antecedent of hWi in I Peter 1:6

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 20:08:39 EST

<x-flowed>
At 03:00 PM 11/8/00 -0500, Rodney J. Decker wrote:
>At 11:03 AM 11/8/00 -0800, you wrote:
>>>Concerning EN hWi, the current GRAMCORD has it as masculine... I
>>>personally think there's a lot to be said for BAGD's rendition
>>>"circumstantially, of the condition(s) under which someth. takes place"
>>>(EN IV.6.e.; hOS I.11.c).
>
>How would you translate it "circumstantially"? (I know that's not the test
>of an exegetical decision, but it helps me understand what you mean.) I've
>taken it temporally: "in which [time]..." = "then you will rejoice..."

BAGD at hOS gives the following translation for EN hWi: "under which
circumstances = under these circumstances, in the situation created by what
precedes". So here, "you rejoice in the fact that you 'salvation' is
secure, but future..." This is sort of what Selwyn says.

>>The other thing is the DEON, which is difficult for sure, esp., since its
>>this frozen neuter sing form. I can't decide if its supposed to be
>>supplementary to ESTIN (even when its only implied) with LUPHQENTES as a
>>circumstantial ptc of purpose (your diagram ?!), or as a predicate with
>>the participle as the subject (sort of constructio ad sensum).
>
>I've taken LUPHQENTES as an adverbial (aka, circumstantial) *concessive*
>ptcp ("although you may suffer...").
>
>In light of your comments, and rethinking some of this sentence, what
>about taking the hINA clause as the subject of ESTIN DEON ("that the
>approved quality of your faith should be found... is necessary")? This
>would take hINA as a noun clause; alternately, one might take ESTIN DEON
>impersonally and the hINA clause as epexegetical...? But I think the noun
>clause is better.

That doesn't strike me as quite right. Even though the EI is not first in
the clause it still "introduces" the clause as I see it, and it is the EI
that provides the "conditional" sense to the sentence; and thus not the
participle being concessive. Thus the conditional necessity is not that
your faith my be proved "genuine", but that you may in fact have to suffer
at times. The ptc is ad sensum epexegetical/complementary to the DEON,
viz., "it may be necessary for you to suffer..." If this were DEI then the
ptc would be its subject (but, of course he would have used an infinitive
and not a ptc, which could be misconstrued as substantival subject). Well,
at least that's how I see it...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com