[b-greek] RE: 1 John 2:15

From: Steven Sheeley (ssheeley@shorter.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 08:23:04 EST

Actually, you could argue for either (or both, in true Johannine fashion)
meanings not just contextually, but also through syntactical rules. The
question would hinge on one's interpretation of TOU PATROS; is it an
objective or subjective genitive?

On another level, in the Johannine context, one should also be careful not
to exclude the possibility that hH AGAPH TOU PATROS is not a circulocution
for Jesus himself, so that the verse would imply that anyone who loves the
world and its "things" does not have Jesus in him/her.

Steven Sheeley
Associate Professor of Religion
Associate Dean of the College
Shorter College