[b-greek] Re: Barnabas patting himself on the back...

From: Bill Barton (phos@prodigy.net)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 19:04:05 EST

Bart Ehrman wrote:

BE>The Epistle of Barnabas starts out a shade rough; among other little
nuggets is 1:3 DIO KAI MALLON SUGXAIRW hEMAUTWi ELPIZWN SWQHNAI.>

BE>Why can't it simply be "rejoice within myself" (or "rejoice deep down")
or some such thing?>

This appears to be the same thought as Romans 1:12, that is, a mutual
encouragement of faith. The evidence of the spirit in these believers has
refreshed the hope of salvation for Barnabas. Cf 3 John 4.

I'd agree that "rejoice" seems a more fitting gloss than "congratulate."

Bill Barton