[b-greek] Re: Accentuation to show mood

From: Jason A. Hare (language_lover64801@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 06:06:06 EST

Carl,

You wrote:
> Yes, the subjunctive has the circumflex over the Eta because it is a
> contraction of FOBHQE-H-TE --> FOBHQH=TE; the imperative has an acute over
> the preceding Eta because there is no contraction and the final syllable is
> short: it's simply FOBH/-QH-TE

I was wondering why there is not a contraction in the aorist passive
imperative. The forms (on LUW) are:

-----
2sg > LU/QHTI
3sg > LUQH/TW

2pl > LU/QHTE
3pl > LUQH/TWSAN
-----

Having looked this up, I have answered my own questions, but would like to
report what I have found. Mounce (_Morphology of Biblical Greek_, sec.
36.8, p.82) says that the true personal endings for the active imperative
are as follows:

2sg > QI, -, E, S
3sg > TW

2pl > TE
3pl > TWSAN

The 2sg ending for the Aorist Passive Imperative is -QI, but the theta is
deaspirated on account of the theta of the tense formative (QH).
Therefore, the personal endings for this tense-mood combination are as
follows, repectively: -TI, -TW, -TE, -TWSAN. So, there indeed is no
contraction.

Aorist Passive Imperative:
LU + QH + TI --> LU/QHTI
LU + QH + TW --> LUQH/TW (accent pulled by final W)

LU + QH + TE --> LU/QHTE
LU + QH + TWSAN --> LUQH/TWSAN

Also, I thought that QH was the formative for all normal aorist passive
(excluding non-theta, etc.). I have looked in Mounce and he says this for
hint #2 on learning the subjunctive mood: "The connecting vowel is
lengthened to H or W and behaves almost as a mood formative"
(_Morphology_, sec. 50, p.128). Still, all that I can find on the tense
formative is QH (whereas, you put QE above), so I am assuming that the
contraction in the subjunctive is QH + H --> QH.

-----
Aorist Passive Subjunctive
LU + QH + W + - --> LUQW~
LU + QH + H + EIS --> LUQHi~S
LU + QH + H + EI --> LUQHi~

LU + QH + W + OMEN --> LUQW~MEN
LU + QH + H + ETE --> LUQH~TE
LU + QH + W + OUSI(N) --> LUQW~SI(N)
-----

This is what I found when I went over the different breakdowns of these
two tense-mood combos. I hope that this is consistent and that I
understand it correctly.

Regards,
Jason