[b-greek] Re: articular infinitives

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 17:01:19 EST

Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote;

>I have a technical question regarding articular infinitives in prepositional
>phrases. I have Rom 3.4 specifically in mind, which has EN TWi KRINESQAI SE
>modifying NIKHSEIS. The question is this: Does EN technically govern TWi
>KRINESQAI SE, KRINESQAI SE, or only KRINESQAI? Any help would be
>appreciated.

KAQAPER GEGRAPTAI: hOPWS AN DIKAIWQHS EN TOIS LOGOIS SOU KAI NIKHSEIS
(v.l.-SHS) EN TWi KRINESQAI SE.

An infinitive with the article is considered to be a neuter sing. noun. In
this case the dative (locative) is telling time, "when you are judged." SE
serves as the accusative of reference (subject of the infinitive). EN, of
course, goes with the article + infinitive construction in the dative.
There are a number of instances when the future indicative is substituted
for the aorist subjunctive (as in the case of NIKHSEIS). Some scribes
thought it should be the subjunctive and changed it (even Vaticanus). The
overall sentence indicates purpose by combining hOPWS with the subjunctive
and future.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College