[b-greek] RE: GENEA

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 20:59:32 EST

Dear Iver,

You make good points in your post, but I disagree when you say:

 He cannot by this be referring to the whole population of Jerusalem,
>but to a small, but influential group of people in Jerusalem. And it is
>not hard
>to guess what group of people he has in mind. I think the context shows
>that it
>is "such people" that will be judged for their unbelief.

You have been sensitive to the antecedent context, but you have overlooked
the subsequent context in your evaluation of what "this generation" cannot
mean in Matt 23:36.

Jesus goes on to lament over Jerusalem, whose house was to be left desolate
(23:37-39). He soon begins to describe how the temple will be destroyed
(24:2).

The context for the meaning of "all these things" which will come "upon
this generation" is the terrible judgment of A.D. 70, which came upon the
whole generation of the Israelites.

                                Yours,
                                Harold