[b-greek] Negative particle -> EWS hOU

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 02:10:11 EST

Doing a little Christmas reading and ran into a grammatical issue in
Matthew 1:25.

L. Morris cites A.H. McNeil (Matthew, London 1915) in a footnote saying that
in the New Testament the negative particle followed by hEWS, hEWS hOU, or
hEWS hOTOU "always implies that the negatived (sic) action did, or will,
take place after the point of time indicated by the particle."

Whenever I hear someone use the word "always" in a statement like this I
figure it is time to fire up Accordance and prove them wrong. If you apply
McNeil's rule to Matt 12:20 you end up with a very humorous result. The
Messiah ends up breaking bruised reeds and quenching smoldering wicks.

Matt 5:18 is a little more questionable, perhaps the rule works here or
perhaps it doesn't. Rom. 11:8 also looks like a possible counter example.
There are undoubtedly more that I did not find.

Perhaps these are the exceptions that prove the rule. Or perhaps these
exceptions prove that there is no such rule. Here are some texts to look
over:

Matt. 1:25 Matt. 5:18 Matt. 5:26 Matt. 12:20 Matt. 16:28 Matt.
23:39 Matt. 24:21 Matt. 24:34 Matt. 24:39 Mark 9:1 Luke 9:27 Luke 12:59 Luke
13:35 Luke 21:32 Luke 22:16 Luke 22:34 John 13:38 Rom. 11:8

******

Needless to say A.H. McNeil's rule has dogmatic implications when applied to
Matt 1:25, but we won't discuss those here, not on the b-greek list.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

Leon Morris Matthew, Eerdmans1992, note #57 on page 32