[b-greek] Phil. 3:8 - two questions

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 21:57:34 EST

<x-flowed>

Phil. 3:8

ALLA MENOUNGE KAI hHGOUMAI PANTA ZHMIAN EINAI DIA TO hUPERECON THS GNWSEWS
CRISTOU IHSOU TOU KURIOU MOU DI hON TA PANTA EZHMIWQHN KAI hHGOUMAI SKUBALA
hINA CRISTON KERDHSW

Would it be acceptable to consider hHGOUMAI, being in the Present Tense, as
indicating that Paul still considers all things (not just his pre-conversion
assets) as loss? This would include various "attainments" in his Christian
experience.

Also, can we understand EZHMIWQHN as middle, not passive? A commentary I am
reading suggests this but only cites that others have recently come to see
this as a middle (maybe they have been reading Carl's posts on the –QH
endings). [Carl, I seem to recall you affirming that practically any –QH
verbs, although passive in form, are candidates for middles.]

The idea then would be that Paul did not receive loss in some passive sense,
but chose to experience loss of his own doing. Any ideas as to why the
switch to an Aorist, sandwiched between two Presents?

Thank you,

Mark Wilson