[b-greek] Re: Emphatic expressions

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 01:10:10 EST

On 1/10/01 9:40 PM, Mark Wilson wrote:

> Phil 4: 12
>
> OIDA KAI TAPEINOUSQAI
> OIDA KAI PERISSEUEIN
> EN PANTI KAI EN PASIN MEMUHMAI
> KAI CORTAZESQAI...

> In verse 15:
>
> OIDATE DE KAI hUMEIS, FILIPPHSIOI
>
> The commentary says that the KAI makes hUMEIS emphatic.

I believe the KAI in question is adverbial ("also" or "indeed"), modifying
OIDA. It is not KAI that makes hUMEIS emphatic, but the fact that hUMEIS is
used when it is already implied in the verb. So the idea would seem to be
"you yourselves also know" (NASB) or "you [yourselves] indeed know" (cf.
NRSV). (I realize some of the translators out there will hate this mode of
expression.)

> I am not sure how many times Paul put words or phrases in
> an "emphatic position," but according to this scholar, it was
> quite often in this epistle.
>
> Although he mentioned this "emphatic" position often, I really
> did not quite catch why it was noteworthy.
>
> In the above example (EN PANTI KAI EN PASIN), what does
> this phrase being in the emphatic position actually mean?

The writer probably came to this conclusion because EN PANTI KAI EN PASIN
comes at the beginning of the clause, which is one way to indicate emphasis
in Greek. But in light of the flexibility of Greek word order, my opinion is
that resort to this explanation is often excessive.

Steve Lo Vullo,
Madison, WI