[b-greek] Re: AIONIAN ZOE

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 21:22:35 EST

Blair Neil Davis wrote;

>First I would like to say hello to the people on this list. I just
>subscribed and have read several of the posts. Congradulations on the kind
>mannor of discussion this list seems to maintain.

Thanks, we are trying.

>I have never had any formal training in NT Greek. I have been using
>lexicons and comparing the use of Greek words in the NT using my
>Englishmans Concordance.
>
>This works well in most cases but I am having some trouble with
>conflicting evidence on how AIONIAN ZOE can be translated. As I understand
>the term it means exactly what the KJV translates "everlasting life".I am
>finding some scholars that want to translate AIONIAN ZOE as "life of the
>age [to come]". I am trying to find someone to explain this conflict at a
>beginners level that I can understand.

I would say the word "well" may be strained in this paragraph. I would
encourage you to work with a good beginning grammar and continue to master
basics of Greek grammar.

>Question;
>1. Is "life of the age" a possible translation for AIONIAN ZOE?

First the adjective AIWNIOS (see fac for transliteration scheme) is an
adjective of the second declension only and rarely takes a first declension
form (AIWNIAN see below) which you give. There are three places in the NT
where it precedes the noun ZWH. Most often it follows ZWH as in Matt.19:29
ZWHN AIWNION. "Life of the age" would have to be written ZWH TOU AIWNOS. I
don't think that that appears in the NT. I did not check.
The adjective is AIWNIOS. The noun is AIWN (nom) AIWNOS (gen).

>2. Is "of the age" a way of making AION into an adjective?

Yes, but it would mean something different from ZWH AIWNIOS.

>3. How would "of the age" normaly be written in Greek.

TOU AIWNOS (using the noun)

>4. Is AIONIAN a word that deals only with matters concerning the age to
>come?

I haven't looked up the adjective AIWNIOS, but I really think that it deals
more with the kind of life than just the idea of beyond death or futuristic.

Also there are two places in the NT where you do have a first declension
form of the adjective in the accusative, 2 Th. 2:16 PARAKLHSIN AIWNIAN and
Heb. 9:12 AIWNIAN LUTRWSIN.

Grace and Peace,

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Prof. of Religion