[b-greek] Re: ELAION / MURON

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@speedgate.net)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 19:20:09 EST

storch@storchsites writes;

> Hello, There seem to exist two greek words meaning "oil". MURON
>(an expensive perfume oil) and ELAION (olive-oil). Maybe this is a bit
>off-list, but in Luke 10,34 it seems that the ELAION is used as a
>medicine. Is that correct? Has ELAION been used for medical reasons? And
>what kind of oil was MURON? thanks in advance, carsten schmelzer,
>germany ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [winberyc@speedgate.net]
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>leave-b-greek-327Q@franklin.oit.unc.edu

KATEDHSEN TA TRAUMAATA AUTOU EPICEWN ELAION KAI OINON 'he bound up his
wounds, pouring in oil and wine' Lk 10:34.

Nida & Lowe have 6.205 MURON, OU n a strongly aromatic and expensive
ointment - 'perfume, perfumed oil.'

ELAION can also have fragrance added to it, but I do not think that MURON
would be used for medical pruposes.

Would you please use a signature in which you give your first and last
name? If you check the fac you received when you registered you would see
that a signature is required.

Thanks,