[b-greek] Re: Downloading of Archives

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 07:53:18 EST

At 6:11 PM -0500 1/27/01, Stefan Botha wrote:
>Is there any possible way to make the archives downloadable? It's very
>tiring and time-consuming trying to go through every single message
>online. I believe many of the other members would also like to have it
>converted and made available for downloading.

This is a question that I have occasionally pondered; I have no doubt that
it could be done (I do maintain my own complete archives on my hard drive
where I find it easy to do instant searches with the Eudora 5.0 search
engine) but I think IF it were done, it ought to be done officially and
with the blessing of the whole B-Greek staff as well as the site housing
it. As it stands there are two sizable lacunae in the two sets of archives
(before and after June of 1998), and I'm hoping we can get those filled.
For the time being, note that it is possible to search 500 messages at a
time and to set the search at the main site to whatever starting date you
want: it's not quite a matter of one at a time. But of course, however the
selection works, one must read the messages one at a time. I'm not sure
that there's any answer to this question likely at any early date.

Please note that B-Greek list protocol requires personal signatures; I have
checked membership and added the name to the above message which came in
anonymously from "Seeker."

--
Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List