[b-greek] RE: pistis + noun(genitive)

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 06:20:33 EST

> Dear b-Greekers:
>
> I need a little help with Mark 11:22 EXETE PISTIN QEOU
>
> Does it mean "Have faith in God," "...from God," "...like
> God," "...of God"?
>
> I have gleaned the following from my studies so far:
> PISTIN and PISTOS often appear with prepositions EIS, EN,
> EPI, which seem to follow closely our English syntax with
> _faith in_ and _believe in_.
>
> Other examples of PISTIN or PISTOS in a string with a noun
> in the genitive do not seem to indicate conclusively the
> precise relationship between the believing and the noun.
>
> I tried a Persius search on the exact string <PISTIN QEOU>
> and received zero hits. It is a little disconcerting to me
> that I may not have searched correctly. (I would feel more
> confident if I would have received at least one hit!
> -) ) I received over a thousand hits on <PISTIN EIS>.
> Is the expression PISTIN QEOUS unique to Mark 11:22 as my
> Persius search seems to indicate?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Bryan

Well, I am not familiar with Persius or what database it searches, but if you
broaden your search to allow for other cases of PISTOS like the genitive PISTEWS
and also broaden the Genitive noun to include IHSOU, CRISTOU, TOU KURIOU hUMWN
in addition to QEOU, you will find a number of hits in the GNT.

At least I found the following occurrences of pistis + genitive noun:
Acts 3:16, (14:9), Rom 3:22, 26, Gal 2:16, 3:22, Phil 3:9, James 2:1, Rev 14:12

In Rom 3:3 the context suggests the meaning "faithfulness of God". In all cases,
the determining factor is the context, and in some cases the context points
quite strongly towards an objective sense, in other cases, the context does not
provide a clear answer.

Iver Larsen